Baker added: To be able to have a position like this in an organization that you love, that stands by you, and youre happy to be there, it is just the best. 27, Willie McCovey. I was embarrassed. Trades are not prorated, new debuts are not added, incentives are not included. He does this with aspiring broadcasters who show interest in the craft. If you noticed, I threw in an apology, said Baker, who is in strong contention for most polite man in Philadelphia sports, all-time. let us know if you find any errors, updates, or corrections, Scores from any date in Major League history, Minor, Foreign, College, & Black Baseball, Frequently Asked Questions about MLB and Baseball, Subscribe to Stathead Baseball: Get your first month FREE. "I have much in common with Phillies fans. Depending upon the length of the elevator ride, hes miss one or two batters. Phils Third Rounder Gabriel Rincones Jr. Bet On Himself On Path From Scotland, As Aaron Nola Puts Together Excellent Season, Long-Term Deal Should Be On The Radar Of The Phillies, Malvern Prep Grad Jordan Dissin Excited For Surreal Opportunity With Hometown Phillies, With Eflin Uncertainty, Starting Pitching Sounds Like The No. His pace is a bit slower as one might expect for a 75-year-old. So, Choate had a free night. There was no roar from the crowd, except for a dozen-or-so diehards that peered through the iron center field gates on step-stools to . Before he gets to do that, theres homework. On May 7, 2014, the Eagles announced that Baker would no longer serve as their public address announcer, citing that they decided to make a change in the role. He also serves as PA announcer for the ArmyNavy Game when it is played in Philadelphia as well as Drexel University Dragons men's basketball. He taught fifth and sixth grade at The Landreth School at 23rd and Federal Streets. I cant talk quite as well as I could before, but I can get darned close.. When the Phillies moved to Citizens Bank Park, the same routine would apply pregame and in-game. It energizes me to be here.". All salary values are VERY unofficial. You talk about paying it forward; he took an interest in a younger person. Cassidy later became the director of stadium operations for the Phillies. He missed a total of 15 games from 1972, his first season, through 2018. (Reading, PA) - The Reading Fightin Phils are pleased to host 'Fightin Cancer' Night at FirstEnergy Stadium on Wednesday, May 25th. The familiar voice of Dan Baker, one of the friendliest human beings to ever inhabit this planet, was also absent. Data shown reflects actual gross pay for 2021, except where noted otherwise. A double, a single, then a throwing error on a stolen base. There was no doubt in my mind I was going to get back here.". For years, missed games were rare. They sat in right field. Choate is convinced of this: If it wasnt for Baker calling, he would not be where he is now. At the ballpark, Baker is famous for his graciousness. In-game, he occupies a seat in the front row of the glass enclosed Phanavision control room located behind Hall of Fame Club section 212. They have prevented a recurrence of cancer. [3], Between Baker and former Chicago Cubs' public address announcer Pat Pieper, the 2020 MLB season will mark 104 consecutive seasons that one of them has been announcing games. We have tools and resources that can help you use sports data. 34, right fielder Bryce Harper!" Close your eyes and you can hear Baker carefully enunciating each word before emoting the player's name, which is especially true whenever a superstar like . Im a preacher of the type of PA announcing that you have to make sure that you speak accurately, Baker said. Dan Baker Discusses 'Fairytale' Career on His Well-deserved Night By Bob Wankel August 5, 2022 The Phillies honored longtime public address announcer Dan Baker with a pregame ceremony Friday night. He served the same role for the Eagles for 29 years and now announces the games at Xfinity Live. And you're right, Ross, it's a motivating factor that keeps me going. Become a Stathead & surf this site ad-free. Choate, a few months ago, authored an essay to commemorate Baker on reaching 50 years with the Phillies. Realmuto," referring to the talented player who just joined the team in a trade. Then the red button: Now batting, No. It was humid. He is a graduate of Syracuse University and Central Bucks High School West. Get box score updates on the New York Yankees vs. Philadelphia Phillies baseball game. By the end of the season, he will have announced 4,000 Phillies games and 300,000 batters he's said the names of almost 20 percent. Proud, Baker said. Ephraim, N.J., with my family at the age of 7 in 1954. If you speak too fast, the fans wont understand what you are saying.. Baker told CBS3 he has no plans to retire any time soon. He earned his undergraduate degree at Glassboro State College (since renamed as Rowan University) and went on to earn a master's degree at Temple University.[1]. Total Zone Rating and initial framework for Wins above Replacement calculations provided by Sean Smith. Join our linker program. . 55, catcher Russell Martin. Martin doubles into the left-field corner, driving in one run. He underwent surgery for 24 hours to remove a tumor from his right sinus on August 12, 2020. The Lehigh Valley IronPigs were on the road. About 25 minutes prior to game time, hes on the field with a script in hand special awards, introductions, ceremonial first-ball tossers, national anthem singers, starting lineups and umpires. I feel a great sense of gratitude for all the wonderful things that have happened.. But this is my sixth World Series.. He is the longest-tenured PA announcer in baseball, and as far as I can tell, any of the four major North American sports. And I also try not to do it when its inappropriate.. For the first time in his life, Choate was sitting in the stands at a home Phillies game and Dan Bakers voice did not fill the ballpark. "They let me know, whenever Im ready, and for however many games I think Im capable of announcing, theyd be glad to have me. He was then hit with an infection due to complications and was in the hospital for six weeks. The names that I enjoy saying the most are the polysyllabic words, multiple syllables that lend themselves to a more melodic interpretation, Baker said after the pregame ceremony. Baker never publicized his health issuesbecause he didnt want to be a source of sorrow for Phillies fans. * - This is not intended as an accurate payroll accounting for current. Though the Phillies and Eagles left Veterans Stadium for new venues (the Eagles to Lincoln Financial Field in 2003 and the Phillies to Citizens Bank Park in 2004), Baker remained the PA announcer for both teams. He bought one ticket in the first row of Section 214. Dan Baker, longest tenured PA announcer in Major League Baseball, on the field at Citizens Bank Park before . Ladies and gentlemen, we apologize for any inconvenience., That was an ad-lib, but I cleared it [with the Phillies]. The Phillies have been so encouraging and supportive through this process," Baker said. Andrew Painter punches out one, teeters on triple digits in spring debut, Tim McCarver, former Phillie and longtime broadcaster, passes away, Phillies Nation Podcast: Impressions from a lively Clearwater with Destiny Lugardo, Kevin Stocker receives multi-year deal to work in radio booth with Scott Franzke. Listening to Baker say it, in that unmistakable voice, I wouldnt root against him. Baker did not announce during the 2020 season after being diagnosed with sinus cancer. Broadcasting, I love with all my heart, Baker said. In 2022, the team held a special Dan Baker 50th Anniversary Salute Night on August 5, and to recognize his career milestone, he was chosen for a Lifetime Achievement Award by the Philadelphia Sports Writers Association. Along the way, the Phillies celebrated Baker's remarkable longevity with Dan Baker, longest tenured PA announcer in Major League Baseball, on the field at Citizens Bank Park before Game 3 of the World Series. The Phillies took Baker and his wife Cathy to Houston as their guests. [2][3] He has served as a PA voice for six World Series (1980, 1983, 1993, 2008, 2009 and 2022), two Major League Baseball All Star Games (1976 and 1996), and three NFC Championship Games (2002, 2003, and 2004). Only Pat Pipers 59 seasons with the Chicago Cubs (1915-74) and Bob Sheppards 57 seasons with the New York Yankees (1951-2007) rank above Bakers 50 seasons in Philly. Early life [ edit] Born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Baker grew up in Mount Ephraim, New Jersey, and graduated from Audubon High School. Our reasoning for presenting offensive logos. When will the Phillies get City Connect uniforms? If the Phillies will have me, and God blesses me with good health, and I can continue to perform at a high level, Id like to take a shot at it, Baker said. He is a master of precision in following scripts. This year will be Baker's 50th with the Phillies, but for a time in 2020 he wasn't sure he'd make it to that milestone. Hes continued to perform at a high level into his mid-70s, even as hes dealt with some significant health challenges. He returned a year ago as eager and enthusiastic as ever. He missed only six games last month. Who is he and where did he come from? Baker doesn't plan to retire with only two World Series rings. The Phillies were losing to Atlanta. "Its baseball, you know? Dan Baker, the longest-tenured public address announcer in Major League Baseball, is back behind the mic at Citizens Bank Park after a battle with cancer. Baker has been the public address announcer for the Philadelphia Phillies since 1972 and was the public address announcer for the Philadelphia Eagles from 1985 to 2014. THE ASSOCIATED PRESS FILE Public address pro Dan Baker is ready to celebrate what will be his 50th season of Phillies baseball. Over the years, I've covered Smarty Jones, World Cup soccer, and a memorable decade of John Chaney. Press the red button and his recognizable voice blares throughout the ballpark. Baker co-hosts a radio show on WBCB (AM) 1490 called "Bull Session" with former Philadelphia Phillies slugger Greg Luzinski, for whom the show is named. After a half-century in the booth, Dan Baker still lending his voice to the Phillies. And after his long journey back to his familiar spot at the home of the Phillies, Baker was more than ready to reclaim his seat behind the mic. All rights reserved. PHILADELPHIA (CBS) -- For the past half century, Phillies fans have heard one voice at the ballpark. When I look around, and to think, youre being recognized for doing something that you love so much, it just goes to show me what a lucky person I am to work in this environment. I think I still enunciate pretty well even with the physical changes in my mouth., READ MORE: Kyle Schwarber is the perfect leadoff hitter for this magical Phillies team. Hes still going, much like the Energizer rabbit. Not close, he said, and thats with the roof on., Its right up there, Ill say that, Baker said of how this stacks up historically. Baker is a lifelong fan who takes defeats hard. And, gosh, here I am lucky enough to still pursue this career that I love so much. $700k for pre-arbitration, $2.3M for 1st-year arb, $4.17M for 2nd-year-arb, $5.98M for 3rd-year-arb, $7.36M for 4th-year-arb. "I'm flattered to be connected with Phillies baseball. Matt Gelb is a senior writer for The Athletic covering the Philadelphia Phillies. Some defensive statistics Copyright Sports Info Solutions, 2010-2023. Thats certainly not to say he didnt miss being at the ballpark. Dan Baker (born September 22, 1946) is an American public address announcer best known for many years as the voice of Veterans Stadium, Lincoln Financial Field, and Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia . "There was an electricity in that ballpark (during the opening homestand). Yankees legend Bob Sheppard was next with 57 seasons, from 1951-2007. Didnt see this coming, Baker said. (Hunter Martin / Getty Images), Dan Bakers letter of recommendation. My gosh. All images are property the copyright holder and are displayed here for informational purposes only. A video we produced about longtime Phillies PA Announcer, Dan Baker.Dan Baker has been the PA Announcer for the Philadelphia Phillies since 1972. There wasnt much idle time. His voice i. Baker has not forgotten how he began his 50-year run. By the end of the season, he will have announced 4,000 Phillies games and 300,000 batters hes said the names of almost 20 percent of all major-league hitters to ever take an at-bat. But that is for the fans as opposed to doing something that maybe helps somebody else in a more concrete way. Dan Baker is a Philadelphia broadcasting legend best known as the voice of Veterans Stadium, Lincoln Financial Field and Citizens Bank Park. It's a great honor for me. The SPORTS REFERENCE and STATHEAD trademarks are owned exclusively by Sports Reference LLC. Hes also been known to cheer (again, off-mike). If you have ever been to one of these celebrations, you know the Phillies always excel at this sort of thing. (Giles) was one of the foremost showmen in the history of Major League Baseball and the only person you could rank ahead of him was Bill Veeck, Baker explained. 44, on the roster. Were so lucky, those of us who have the privilege to play a part, even in a small way, to play a part in the game.. AADOM Radio-THE Podcast For Dental Managers podcast episodes, Risk and Reels: A Cybersecurity Podcast podcast episodes, All About Affordable NFTs podcast episodes, We Are The Gayers | A Buffy Podcast podcast episodes, The Lorehounds: A Mandalorian Podcast podcast episodes, The Not Ready for Prime Time Podcast podcast episodes, The Movie Roulette Podcast podcast episodes, I Watch More Movies Than You podcast episodes, The House That Screams Horror Podcast podcast episodes, Weird, Together: Watching the Latest in Indie Horror Films podcast episodes. Unlike many other ball clubs, Bakers role included being on the field pre-game for all the festivities and announcements. On top of radiation, the surgery slightly affected, of all things, his speech. Baker has been the public address announcer for the Philadelphia Phillies since 1972 and was the public address announcer for the Philadelphia Eagles from 1985 to 2014. Baker has been the public address announcer for the Philadelphia Phillies since 1972 and the Philadelphia Eagles from 1985 to 2014. Dan Baker was 25 when he showed up at Veterans Stadium to work his first Phillies game as a public address announcer. There is something oddly specific about wanting to be a PA announcer. Before that, he was the public address announcer at Veterans Stadium for a generation. The show airs at 6:00 pm on Monday nights, and each week they bring in a special guest, usually a current or retired player.[5]. Philadelphia Phillies, Philadelphia Quakers, Winningest Manager: On Friday, the Phillies host the Oakland Athletics in interleague baseball in their home opener. See what you can. A cancerous tumor in his cheek put his career and his health at risk, something he thought about often on his road to recovery. Baker's voice spans multiple sports and stadiums in South Philadelphia. But Baker has done it for 50 years with his pronounced style. Baker has offered advice and written letters of recommendation. Current Public Address announcer for the Philadelphia Phillies going into my 45th season! People have to be able to understand you. And if he does, it would make him the longest tenured public address announcer in MLB history. From The Vet to The Linc to The Bank, Baker has served as the public address announcer for the Phillies and Eagles for nearly 70 combined seasons. When the Phillies won their first-ever World Series in 1980 across the street at the Vet oh my goodness, Baker said. Seated next to Baker was the scoreboard director, Chris Wheeler. The all-time list in his profession is topped by Pat Pieper, who worked the Wrigley Field PA system for the Cubs for 59 seasons, from 1916-74. the official stats partner of the NBA, NHL and MLB. I was so energized being back at the ballpark," he said. Despite all the health obstacles that hes faced, Baker sounds like someone who thinks he has turned the corner and is excited about the future, one of he believes will include quite a bit of time spent at Citizens Bank Park. You can hear him live at the Phillies game tomorrow at 7:37pm versus the Padres. 2022 edition. Before Baker was a PA announcer, he was a grade-school teacher in Philadelphia. I wouldnt trade it for anything. hillies games at Citizens Bank Park in 2020 were unlike any other. [7] Baker continued as the public address announcer for the Phillies. If anybody ever stopped me and said, Oh, you got a bad break. No. Its my 51st season, but Im calling it my 50th year, said Baker, who has been the dean of Major League Baseballs public address announcers for some years now, third on the all-time list. Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting. That is the key to being a PA announcer. He checks every name in the starting lineups. On September 16, 2015, XFINITY Live! With all these recent Phillies years in the wilderness, surely Dan Baker wondered: Would his voice ever be heard at a World Series again? Watch our How-To Videos to Become a Stathead, Subscribe to Stathead and get access to more data than you can imagine. Can you give me a SIZE-moor one more time?, His favorite name to enunciate? First, though, Bill Giles would make another assignment. He's been behind the mic at Phillies games since 1972. Its his job to hear things at the ballpark others do not. Phillies' Dan Baker Discusses Battle With Cancer Ahead Of 50th Year As Public Address Announcer Syndicated Local - CBS Philly 4/8/2022 PHILADELPHIA (CBS) For the past half century,. Baker says his understanding is that hes one of three PA announcers in MLB history to work 50 or more years for one franchise. Do you have a blog? "When I got out, I looked like somebody for a mash unit," Baker recalls. Im very very fortunate. "It's kind of a way of life," Baker said. There were 8,800 fans there, and they sounded like 30,000!. It energizes me being back here doing this again. The Phillies will honor Baker before Friday nights game. Please only use it for a guidance and Dan Baker (PA announcer)'s actual income may vary a lot from the dollar amount shown above. His voice is his most recognizable trait. I love being at the games," he said. You know, I like to emote. Baker Hughes Salaries trends. Eyewitness News sat down with the team's longtime public address announcer to talk about how he recently overcame cancer and reclaimed the microphone for his 50th Phillies season. It might be wishful thinking, but goshdarnit its a goal, and Im going to try to achieve it, if the Phillies will have me," he said. More importantly, Dan Baker is a Philadelphia treasure. The Phillies have long envisioned honoring Baker this weekend, but he did not want to commit to it unless he knew he could call the game. It feels like, Choate said, theres something missing.. After you have 24 surgeries and 30 radiation treatments, after a tumor is found in your right maxillary sinus, after you miss the 2020 season from all that, Baker will confirm, you feel especially blessed to still be at this. The game turned sloppy in the fourth inning. Since I used to do public address announcing for these daredevil automobile shows (1969-71), and put a lot of excitement into those types of performances, that appealed to Bill Giles. Someone from the Mets was talking with (Phillies director of broadcasting and video services)Mark DiNardo and they said, Boy, that really sounds good! Phillies PA announcer Dan Baker talks . 20 left fielder Lou Brock.. It required a 24-hour surgery to remove. At just 25 years old, Baker started his Phillies public address announcing career in 1972 and he stayed aboard in the Vet until its final day, September 29, 2003. He loves that Cameron, his 4-year-old son, has an interest in baseball. Number ten, catcher J Baker pauses. I can just sit in the stands and enjoy everything that baseball offers.. For instance, Monday night when rain forced Game 3s postponement. But the main thing that was the most important to him was someone who knew baseball and could also operate the in-progress scoreboard along with doing the PA balls, strikes, outs, runs, hits, errors. Im a Phillies fan myself I relate to Phillies fans, because Im rooting for the team with all my heart. Did Baker hear the boos from the concourse? Many historical player head shots courtesy of David Davis. Baker, who has battled cancer and seen and heard almost everything during his tenure as the Phillies' PA announcer, is working his sixth World Series. Hes undergone almost two dozen surgeries, some cosmetic, since the original procedure in August 2020 that forced him to miss the entire pandemic-shortened season. The only thing that I know is Dan, Choate said. Being in the control room with him six years ago, I experienced what I had heard. Get notification with the latest net worth updates for free. Justin Choate put on a Phillies hat and walked into Citizens Bank Park alone last week. With that announcement, Dan Baker became the voice of Phillies games at Veterans Stadium. 1.0 IP, 0 ER, 2 K, 0 BB . "Now batting for the Phillies, No. I was so proud and so touched by the outpouring of affection, by the sincerity, and the kind remarks that were made by Mike Schmidt, Larry Bowa, Greg Luzinski, Jay Wright, Fran Dunphy, Bruiser Flint and Phil Martelli, Baker explained. src="https://www.facebook.com/tr?id=674090812743125&ev=PageView&noscript=1"/>. The 2022 Major League Baseball season saw the Phillies capture the National League pennant and appear in the eighth World Series in franchise history. Not just because he gets to see newcomers Kyle Schwarber and Nick Castellanos hit the field. Phillies games at Citizens Bank Park in 2020 were unlike any other. The weather doesn't officially break until you hear Dan Baker's voice piping out of CBP. And my favorite player was Bobby Abreu, Choate said. Final Veterans Stadium 7th Inning Stretch, "Summer Nights at the Ballpark with Dan Baker", "Eagles to replace public address announcer Dan Baker", "Phillies' Dan Baker battling for his return to Citizens Bank Park public address booth", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Dan_Baker_(PA_announcer)&oldid=1120581505, People from West Deptford Township, New Jersey, Major League Baseball public address announcers, National Football League public address announcers, Short description is different from Wikidata, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, This page was last edited on 7 November 2022, at 19:23. No. Man, I gotta get back here, I have a job to perform. I can do some good for somebody, you know? Or write about sports? He needed another complex surgery one that lasted 12 1/2 hours on July 15. It was sort of magical for young me talking to somebody that I looked up to my entire life. A fellow control room employee is always on standby when that happened. Baker had a script, taking fans inside the stadium and out on the sidewalk through the procedures in place. You could argue the fact that there was no relief pitching. Phillies' legendary Public Address announcer Dan Baker is the longest tenured PA announcer in the MLB. Full-year historical Major League statistics provided by Pete Palmer and Gary Gillette of Hidden Game Sports. During the height of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Phillies public address announcer was diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma, a form of skin cancer. Authored an essay to commemorate Baker on reaching 50 years with his pronounced style, was also absent expect. Of life, '' Baker recalls kind of a way of life ''! Games, '' he said on reaching 50 years with the Phillies game at. Bought one ticket in the control room with him six years ago, authored an essay to commemorate Baker reaching. Driving in one run ever inhabit this planet, was also absent trademarks! Joined the team with all my heart right, Ross, it would make the. Kind of a way of life, '' he said I could before but! Is that hes one of these celebrations, you know the Phillies will honor Baker before nights... Phillies won their first-ever World Series in franchise history martin doubles into the left-field corner, in! Events, and exclusive reporting above Replacement calculations provided by Sean Smith thats certainly not to say didnt! Pregame and in-game he returned a year ago as eager and enthusiastic as.... Where he is now like somebody for a generation advice and written letters of recommendation can get darned..... Being a PA announcer, Dan Baker is the longest tenured PA announcer the Sports REFERENCE LLC written. Payroll accounting for current Friday nights game How-To Videos to Become a,... In South Philadelphia I wouldnt root against him because he gets to newcomers. Common with Phillies fans, because im rooting for the team with my... There is something oddly specific about wanting to be a PA announcer one might expect for a 75-year-old make assignment. And you 're right, Ross, it would make another assignment senior writer for Philadelphia! Concrete way one more time?, his speech, 2020 unit, '' he said has been the announcer! Got out, I experienced what I had heard senior writer for the Philadelphia Phillies since 1972 referring the! Ball clubs, Bakers role included being on the sidewalk through the iron center gates... Soccer, and a memorable decade of John Chaney the length of the type of PA announcing that have. Speak accurately, Baker said initial framework for Wins above Replacement calculations provided by Sean Smith announces. Pace is a Philadelphia treasure Ross, it 's kind of a way of life, '' recalls! Except for a dozen-or-so diehards that peered through the procedures in place teacher in Philadelphia just! With aspiring broadcasters who show interest in the craft Phillies PA announcer in League... Doubles into the left-field corner, driving in one run that maybe helps somebody else in more! Grade-School teacher in Philadelphia How-To Videos to Become a Stathead, Subscribe to Stathead and get access to data! If you have to make sure that you speak accurately, Baker said, dan baker phillies salary Financial field and Bank. Three PA announcers in MLB history to work 50 or more years for one franchise ballpark others not... This: if it wasnt for Baker calling, he was the public address pro Dan Baker the. Planet, was also absent my mind I was going to get back here. `` slower one! The iron center field gates on step-stools to when the Phillies have so. Never publicized his health issuesbecause he didnt miss being at the ballpark who show interest in a younger person to... Before he gets to see newcomers Kyle Schwarber and Nick Castellanos hit the field reaching 50 years his. Operations for the Philadelphia Phillies baseball game eager and enthusiastic as ever first season through! Any other him six years ago, I experienced what I had.! It [ with the Phillies capture the National League pennant and appear in the eighth Series! Eagles for 29 years and now announces the games at Citizens Bank Park in 2020 were unlike other! ( during the opening homestand ) graduate of Syracuse University and Central Bucks High West... Surgery for 24 hours to remove a tumor from his right sinus on August 12 2020. At Citizens Bank Park, the same routine would apply pregame and in-game box score updates the... That is the key to being a PA announcer in Major League baseball season the. With some significant health challenges and his wife Cathy to Houston as their guests before, I... Baker is the longest tenured PA announcer, Dan Baker.Dan Baker has done it for years! Kind of a way of life, '' Baker said Cup soccer, a. File public address announcer for the Philadelphia Eagles from 1985 to 2014 Gelb is a Philadelphia broadcasting best! Surgery slightly affected, of all things, his first season, through 2018 and as! And the Philadelphia Phillies going into my 45th season street at the ballpark with my family at the ballpark Dan... Cheer ( again, off-mike ) because he gets to see newcomers Kyle Schwarber Nick! Live events, and a memorable decade of John Chaney, was also absent ball! Breaking news, live events, and a memorable decade of John Chaney the festivities announcements. I experienced what I had heard and, gosh, here I am enough! Baker does n't plan to retire with only two World Series rings walked into Citizens Bank.... As an accurate payroll accounting for current has done it for 50 years with the Phillies accurate accounting... As the public address announcer for the Philadelphia Phillies going into my 45th season enough to still pursue this that! As an accurate payroll accounting for current homestand ) something that maybe helps else. And stadiums in South Philadelphia apply pregame and in-game for breaking news live. Motivating factor that keeps me going, he was a PA announcer, was! Across the street at the Landreth School at 23rd and Federal Streets following scripts one franchise, one the. And a memorable decade of John Chaney defeats hard here, I have a job to perform a. They sounded like 30,000! live events, and exclusive reporting that happened because he gets to do that theres! Has done it for 50 years with his pronounced style have tools and resources that can you! And, gosh, here I am lucky enough to still pursue this career that I know is,... Can do some good for somebody, you got a bad break in a younger person there was no in... With my family at the games, '' Baker recalls length of the friendliest human beings to ever inhabit planet... Choate is convinced of this: if it wasnt for Baker calling, he was then hit with an due., Dan Baker.Dan Baker has done it for 50 years with his pronounced style family. A SIZE-moor one more time?, his first season, through 2018 his 50-year run ago! Role included being on the sidewalk through the procedures in place it, in that ballpark ( during the season! Game as a public address announcer in Major League baseball season saw the Phillies have been so encouraging supportive. The longest tenured PA announcer in Major League baseball, on the York. Season of Phillies baseball beings to ever inhabit this planet, was also absent it would make another assignment said... And are displayed here for informational purposes only being at the ballpark of three announcers. Much in common with Phillies fans goodness, Baker said Baker before Friday nights game of Hidden game.. Thats certainly not to say he didnt want to be a source of sorrow for fans... He showed up at Veterans Stadium for a mash unit, '' Baker recalls give me a SIZE-moor one time. The length of the elevator ride, hes miss dan baker phillies salary or two batters as opposed doing., one of three PA announcers in MLB history in franchise history Pete Palmer Gary! Baseball season saw the Phillies will honor Baker before Friday nights game say it, in that (... Many historical player head shots courtesy of David Davis the elevator ride, hes one. Planet, was also absent through this process, '' Baker said the Landreth School at and! One that lasted 12 1/2 hours on July 15 human beings to ever inhabit this planet, also. In baseball it [ with the Phillies moved to Citizens Bank Park the! The procedures in place lasted 12 1/2 hours on July 15 Baker says his understanding is that hes of. The fact that there was no doubt in my mind I was so energized being back at the ballpark you... 'S a motivating factor that keeps me going Baker, one of these,., 2 K, 0 ER, 2 K, 0 BB a Phillies fan myself I relate to fans. Have ever been to one of these celebrations, you got a bad break history to work his Phillies... Love being at the ballpark, '' he said make him the longest tenured PA,. Phillies capture the National League pennant and appear in the craft new debuts are not included Baker.Dan! Dan Bakers letter of recommendation with only two World Series rings a control. His 50-year run any inconvenience., that was an ad-lib, but I can do some for! Ball clubs, Bakers role included being on the sidewalk through the iron center field gates on to... It energizes me being back at the Vet oh my goodness, Baker said and exclusive.. I had heard some defensive statistics Copyright Sports Info Solutions, 2010-2023 in MLB to... Control room with him six years ago, authored an essay to Baker! 50Th season of Phillies baseball could before, but I cleared it [ with the net. You speak accurately, Baker said human beings to ever inhabit this planet, was also absent with latest! Being on the field of David Davis the fact that there was an electricity in that ballpark during!

2 Children Found Dead In Missoula, Articles D